Date of the last update: 28.03.2023
Neurosis is a common condition that can affect any of us. Neurosis is the experience of excessive stress and anxiety, which can lead to symptoms such as headache, insomnia, hyperactivity, excessive sweating, and problems with concentration. Neurosis can be very disruptive for normal daily functioning. One way to reduce these symptoms is by applying the increasingly-used and understood CBD oil. Is it an effective treatment for neurosis? Find out more below.
Table of contents:
- What is CBD?
- The most important properties of CBD
- How can CBD oil help treat neurosis?
- Beneficial properties of CBD. What does the research say?
- CBD and neurosis – summary
You can read this article in 4 minutes.
What is CBD?
CBD is one of the cannabinoids that are naturally present in the hemp plant. When we talk about CBD, we talk about the hemp seed – not cannabis, the cultivation and sale of which is banned in many European countries. Unlike cannabis, CBD is completely legal in most countries, and widely available online and in dedicated shops on city streets across the world! CBD positively affects the basic functions of our body, particularly the nervous system. It’s important to note that CBD is not addictive, and has no psychoactive effects, unlike cannabis.
The most common form of CBD is as an oil, with varying concentrations available, usually between 5-15%. CBD can also be found as pastes, liquids, capsules, or cosmetics, but the oil is most common, combining CBD extract and natural, food-grade hemp oil.
Main properties of CBD
In recent years, increasing research has shown the beneficial effects of CBD on the human body. Today, CBD is often used in the treatment of various diseases and ailments, for the following benefits it provides:
- supporting healthy sleep – reduce sleep problems,
- antipsychotic – reduce symptoms of neurosis, anxiety, depression,
- analgesic – relieves or completely eliminates various pains,
- anti-inflammatory – fights inflammation and has a preventive effect,
- dermatological – supports the fight against skin diseases, explaining its widespread use in cosmetics.
How can CBD oil help treat neurosis?
According to existing studies, it is assumed that oils and other products containing CBD can be helpful in the treatment of neurosis. Of key importance here is the endocannabinoid system – one of the basic human physiological systems. Receptors for this system are found throughout the body, including in the bones, lungs and – very importantly in the context of neurosis – in the brain and the peripheral nervous system. The cannabinoid found in CBD acts on the receptors found in the human nervous system, regulating its function. This allows a person struggling with neurosis to reduce stress and anxiety levels. Reducing neurotic anxiety with CBD helps restore emotional balance, which is important both in terms of further treatment and daily functioning.
Beneficial properties of CBD – What does the research say?
CBD-assisted therapies are a relatively new phenomenon, and as a result, it is more common to find positive claims about the properties of CBD oils than widely documented studies. More studies are being carried out, and we can expect to see more conclusive results in coming years. However, let’s look at what has already been established.
According to a 2017 World Health Organization (WHO) report, CBD is not an addictive or socially harmful substance. Instead, it can be one component of therapy and treatment for a variety of ailments and diseases, including depression and psychosis, as well as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and cancer . The results of a study published in 2011 show that CBD exhibits many pharmacological effects, including anti-anxiety, antipsychotic and anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, studies have shown that CBD can be safe for both humans and animals . Another study found that CBD has a positive effect on psychiatric disorders , and yet another study found that CBD has beneficial effects for treating anxiety and depression . Whilst the positive effects of CBD on various types of anxiety, neurosis and depression have been very well described in the medical literature, studies have also shown this substance to treat patients with certain types of epilepsy .
You may also be interested in: CBD oil – its properties and uses
CBD and neurosis – summary
Treating neurosis can be difficult, but not impossible. There are many different treatments that can help, and CBD oil is one way to mitigate the symptoms of neurosis and restore emotional balance. However, it is important to remember that we are dealing with a disease. Natural methods can help considerably, but in many cases consultation and professional support from a doctor and/or therapist is also necessary.
- Cannabidiol (CBD). Preliminary review report. Expert Committee on Drug Addiction. WHO. Geneva 2017.
- M. Bergamaschi, R. Qyeiroz, A. Zaurdi, J. Crippa. Safety and side effects of cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent. Curr Drug Saf. 2011 Sep 1;6(4)237-49.
- Campos AC, Moreira FA, Gomes FV, et al. Multiple mechanisms involved in the large-spectrum therapeutic potential of cannabidiol in psychiatric disorders. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2012;367(1607):3364-78.
- Schier de Mello AR, de Oliveira Ribeiro PN, Coutinho S, et al. Antidepressant-Like and Anxiolytic-Like Effects of Cannabidiol: A Chemical Compound of Cannabis sativa. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2014;13(6):953-60.
- Szaflarski JP, Bebin EM. Cannabis, cannabidiol, and epilepsy-from receptors to clinical response. Epilepsy Behav 2014;41:277-82.